Design and technology
The rationale and intent behind our Design and Technology curriculum
At Norton In Hales Primary School, we aim to deliver a high quality Design Technology curriculum that helps pupils gain a coherent knowledge and understanding of Design Technology skills.
- We believe that Design Technology encourages children to work individually or part of a team so they have to consider their own and others’ needs, requirements and values.
- Design Technology helps children to develop a critical and analytical way of thinking and communicating their ideas and thoughts.
- We aim to develop children’s imaginations to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems in a variety of contexts.
- Design Technology helps children to learn how to take risks, become resourceful and innovative.
- It is an exciting ‘hands on’ practical subject and in creating items the children will gain excitement, curiosity, an interest in invention.
- Design Technology helps pupils to develop life-long skills which they can take with them into adulthood.
- Through Design Technology, children will learn about the wider world, it’s history and culture, and be prepared for future designing and making.