Design and technology
Angelica class worked with artist Denise Mc Gowen (local artist) to design a stained glass window to celebrate our class names. The children made sketches of the overall composition. They then made cartoons for each individual piece of glass. The details were painted. Different colours of glass were cut for each separate part of the design. Safety goggles were used! Finally the pieces of glass were held together with narrow strips of lead to form each panel.
We were very proud of our new stained glass window, which can be seen from the front of the school. Well done everyone I'm sure this will be a legacy piece in the future. -2022
The rationale and intent behind our Design and Technology curriculum
At Norton In Hales Primary School, we aim to deliver a high quality Design Technology curriculum that helps pupils gain a coherent knowledge and understanding of Design Technology skills.
- We believe that Design Technology encourages children to work individually or part of a team so they have to consider their own and others’ needs, requirements and values.
- Design Technology helps children to develop a critical and analytical way of thinking and communicating their ideas and thoughts.
- We aim to develop children’s imaginations to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems in a variety of contexts.
- Design Technology helps children to learn how to take risks, become resourceful and innovative.
- It is an exciting ‘hands on’ practical subject and in creating items the children will gain excitement, curiosity, an interest in invention.
- Design Technology helps pupils to develop life-long skills which they can take with them into adulthood.
- Through Design Technology, children will learn about the wider world, it’s history and culture, and be prepared for future designing and making.